UNIT 1 LESSON 12
For support in introducing outlining to students, please see the menu item
• To provide the rationale for outlining (and to head off the question
"Why are we doing this"?), teachers might show the class the first 19 seconds
of my youtube video "Why Teach Outlining?" . Students should notice that
outlining is a powerful tool that will help them in every subject.
• For a shorter challenge, teachers might assign students to outline only
selected paragraphs of the lesson.
This lesson's outline:
This is a typical outline. It is based on approximately 1 page of text,
and the outline consumes about 1 1/3 sides of regular-lined paper.
• To support the production of outlines of reasonable length, have students
omit the information from the "Exploring Science / Historical Steps" section.
• If students are to complete this lesson and produce an outline outside of class,
allow one day for them to read the text and complete the review questions,
and a second day to produce their outline.
• On the due date, allow a few minutes for students to compare their attempt
to the one that you provide - and to respond to their questions.