OUTLINE OF UNIT 1 LESSON 2
For support in introducing outlining to students, please see the menu item "TEACHING OUTLINING."
• To provide the rationale for outlining (and to head off the question "Why are we doing this"?), teachers might show the class the first 19 seconds of my youtube video "Why Teach Outlining?" . Students should notice that outlining is a powerful tool that will help them in every subject.
• For a shorter challenge, teachers might assign students to outline only selected paragraphs
of the lesson.
This lesson's outline:
This is a typical outline. It is based on approximately 2 pages of text, and the outline consumes about 2 sides of regular-lined paper.
• To support the production of outlines of reasonable length, have students omit the information
from the "Exploring Science / Historical Steps" section.
• If students are to complete this lesson and produce an outline outside of class, allow one day
for them to read the text and complete the review questions, and a second day to produce their outline.
• On the due date, allow a few minutes for students to compare their attempt to the one that you provide -
and to respond to their questions.