OUTLINE OF UNIT 6 LESSON 4
Teachers who purchase Discovering Life Science are provided the outline
of this lesson, and all other lessons of the book.
For support in introducing outlining to students, please see the menu item
• To provide the rationale for outlining (and to head off the question
"Why are we doing this"?), teachers might show the class the first 19 seconds
of my youtube video "Why Teach Outlining?" . Students should notice that
outlining is a powerful tool that will help them in every subject.
• For a shorter challenge, teachers might assign students to outline only selected
paragraphs of the lesson.
This lesson's outline
This outline is based on approximately 2/3rds of a page of text. The outline consumes
1 page of regular-lined paper.
• To support the production of outlines of reasonable length, have students omit
the information from the "Exploring Science / Historical Steps" section.
• If students are to complete this lesson and produce an outline outside of class, allow one
day for them to read the text and complete the review questions, and a second day to
produce their outline.
• On the due date, allow a few minutes for students to compare their attempt to one
that you provide - and to respond to their questions.